Meeting Room Policy
Online Meeting Room Application | Print Application for the Use of the Meeting Room - This form must be submitted to the branch library at least one week in advance of the date requested. It is strongly recommended that you contact the branch before submitting an application to determine availability. Submitting a form does not guarantee that dates are available. Katy Branch Library Meeting Room Policy & Application
The policies and procedures for the use of the meeting rooms in the Harris County Public Libraries are established herein. The Responsibility for implementing this policy and for scheduling the use of the meeting room rests with the individual librarian in charge of the building. The Library Director retains final authority for implementing these policies.
The meeting rooms of the Harris County Public Libraries may be used by the general public during the regular hours that the library is open. The meeting rooms may be reserved for meetings, programs, seminars, and exhibits.
Regulations for the Use of Meeting Rooms
- Meeting rooms may be reserved for book sales or other fund-raising events, the proceeds of which will go to the direct benefit of the library. However, the meeting rooms may not be reserved for the solicitation or sale of any other goods, services, etc. for any other purpose.
- No monies may be collected on the library premises with the exception of dues for Friends of the Library groups, book sales or other fund-raising events, the proceeds of which will go to the direct benefit of the library.
- All activities in the library meeting rooms must be open to anyone who wants to attend.
- There is no charge for the use of the library meeting rooms.
- Use of the library's meeting rooms does not constitute endorsement by the County or the Library of points of view expressed by the group. No advertisement or announcement implying such endorsement will be permitted.
- Attendance at meetings must be limited to the seating capacity specified at the branch library.
- Chairs and tables available in the meeting rooms must be set up and put away by each group using the rooms. If custodial help is available, the custodian may be asked to set up the meeting rooms. No additional furniture or equipment other than that already available in the meeting rooms will be provided unless prior arrangements have been made.
- The length of time needed for the meeting room should include time for setting up the meeting room and putting it back in order at the end of the meeting. If the meeting extends beyond scheduled time, the librarian in charge will request that the meeting be adjourned.
- Open aisles must be maintained within the seating arrangement to provide clear access in case of emergency.
- Equipment, supplies, or personal belongings cannot be stored or left in the library before or after use, except items such as voting machines or materials to be used for on-going exhibits sponsored by the library.
- The library will not be responsible for lost or damaged materials used in exhibits or programs.
- With the consent of the Branch Librarian, the staff lounge may be used for light refreshments and should be left in the same order it was found. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
- Groups must obtain permission from the branch librarian before affixing articles to the walls in the meeting rooms.
- Smoking is not allowed in the library.
- The individual making the reservation, as well as the membership of the group as a whole, will be held responsible for any and all damage that may occur as a result of the use of the facilities.
- Permission to use the library meeting rooms may be withheld from groups whose members or invitees damage the room, carpet, equipment, or furniture, or fail to comply with these rules and regulations. Individuals causing disturbances during meetings will be asked to leave.
- The individual making the reservation, as well as the membership of the group as a whole, agree to comply with all applicable federal, state, county, and city ordinances, rules and regulations now in force or which may hereafter be enacted or promulgated.
- The individual making the reservation, as well as the membership of the group as a whole, agree to indemnify and hold the County harmless from and against any and all losses, expenses, demands, and claims made against the County arising in any manner from such group's use of the library facilities, whether such losses, expense, demand, or claim made against the County is caused by the County's negligence or not.
- Library-related functions will be given first priority
- Other requests will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis but all previous approvals may be canceled at any time. This also applies to groups that meet at the library on a continuing basis. If the room is needed on an emergency basis for official governmental business or the reservation conflicts with library programming, the reservation shall be canceled and may be rescheduled at the group's request.
- Requests for the use of the meeting room may be made in person or by fax by completing an Application for the Use of the Meeting Room form. This form copy which is attached must be submitted to the Deputy Director at least one week in advance of the date requested. Requests for renewals may be submitted by phone or fax, however, an application form must be completed, on file, and approved before the requested meeting date. A copy of all completed Application for the Use of the Meeting Room forms will be kept at the branch for 12 months.
- Branch Librarians must keep a calendar of scheduled use of their meeting rooms. This calendar must be accessible to the librarian on duty and to the public.
- Groups reserving a meeting room for the first time will be shown the meeting room, restrooms, and staff lounge.
- Since many organizations wish to use the meeting room facilities, groups should reserve the room in advance of the date needed. Based on demand, reservations may be subject to time, place, and manner restrictions.
- To give all organizations an opportunity to use the meeting rooms, groups may not reserve space on a regular basis for more than 90 days.
- Reservations are not automatically renewable.
- Groups holding reservations are requested to notify the library of any cancellation at the earliest possible date in order to free the meeting room or other groups.
|Application for the Use of the Meeting Room.pdf||192.68 KB|