The Harris County Public Library system offers free proctoring services for individuals at most of its branch libraries. Because each branch location is different, the availability of personnel, facilities, technology, and hours of operations will vary. Please contact a librarian at the branch well in advance of your exam to determine if the branch will be able to accommodate your request.
Guidelines for All Examinations
- The student should make an advance appointment with the library staff at the branch to schedule a date and time to take the exam.
- It is preferred that written tests be sent to the library through the U.S. Postal Service, commercial delivery services (such as FedEx or UPS) or by e-mail. Faxed examinations may be accepted if necessary, but students should be aware that this method often creates problems when incomplete materials are transmitted.
- Library staff will contact the student when the library receives a written exam if student contact information has been provided in advance. However, the student is ultimately responsible for confirming that the exam has been received.
- Library staff cannot read the examination to the student, but Harris County Public Library will make reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. To make a request, notify the Branch Librarian.
- Library staff follows the instructions provided by exam providers, and therefore cannot explain exam questions or provide any guidance to the student during the exam.
- Any and all financial transactions between the student and the examining institution or delivery service must be made directly between those parties. The library staff is unable to hold or handle any cash or fees.
- At the completion of a written exam, the library will return the exam directly to the issuing institution through the U.S. Postal Service at the next regularly scheduled pickup from the library. Exams may be returned through a commercial delivery service if the student makes arrangements for pickup at the library. The library may be able to return the exam by fax if requested to do so in advance.
- The student is responsible for all delivery costs. A return envelope addressed to the testing institution and the appropriate amount of postage (stamps) or a pre-paid commercial delivery envelope must be supplied by the student if it has not been included with the exam. The completed exam will be held at the library until this is provided. The exam will not be held for more than fourteen calendar days.
Because the primary task of the staff is to provide general library services to customers, we regret that we are unable to provide some of the more specialized proctoring requirements of some testing institutions. Students are responsible for checking with the library staff in advance to make sure that their proctoring needs can be met. If any of these special conditions apply, the student will need to take the examination at another location:
- In-room direct supervision of the testing is required.
- Timing of individual sections of an exam is required.
- Disabling of the Internet or restricting of access to sites on the Internet is required.
- Scanning of examination papers or test results is required.
- Group testing of multiple individuals is required.
Online Examinations and other Computer Based Examinations
- While this service is offered at many branches, the availability of personnel, rooms, number of available computers, and hours of operations will vary depending on the particular branch.
- Students should contact branch library staff before scheduling an online examination to discuss arrangements for taking the test. Special adjustments may need to be made to the library’s computer booking system to accommodate an examining institution’s time requirements.
- The library’s existing policy for Acceptable Use of the Internet will apply.