AARP Offers Free Tax Assistance at Stratford Library
The AARP will be offering free tax assistance every Tuesday at Stratford Library beginning Feb 5, 2013 until Apr 9, 2013. Assistance hours are from 11 am - 3 pm on a first come, first served basis. A sign up sheet will begin when the library opens at 10 am. Please bring the following items with you:
- Last year's tax return
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents
- Checkbook if you want to do a direct deposit of any refund(s)
- W-2 from each employer
- Unemployment compensation statements
- SSA-1099 form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or Form RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits
- 1099 forms reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity, especially if you had a portion withheld for income tax purposes
- 1099-MISC form showing any miscellaneous income
You will need to bring all forms and canceled checks indicating federal and state income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments).
Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions. If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. You will need to bring the following information:
- 1098 form showing any home mortgage interest
- Receipts or canceled checks for medical/dental expenses (including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums), receipts for prescription medicines, costs of assisted living services and bills for home improvements, such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities
- Receipts for contributions to charity
- Receipts or canceled checks for all tax income and property taxes you paid, as well as records of tax refunds
- Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID or Social Security number)
- Receipts, canceled checks or 1099 forms related to continuing education
We also have tax forms available to the public while supplies last.
For a list of nearby AARP tax aide locations, click here.