Downloading eSelect Books to Apple or Android Devices
A PDF document of these instructions with images is also available.
For video instructions on searching and downloading to a computer, see the first video.
To read the eBooks in the eSelect collection on an Apple or Android Device, you will first need to download and install an eReader that supports EPUB titles with DRM. Examples of free eReaders are Overdrive Media Console, DReader and Bluefire Reader. You will also need to have an Adobe ID. You can create a free Adobe ID from here.
- 1. To begin, go to the HCPL homepage.
- 2. Select the search box in the upper left and type in a title. After you type in the title, hit the “enter” key.
- Alternately, you can select “catalog search” and then the tab for “HCPL eSelect eBooks” to view all titles in the eSelect collection.
- 3. Select the book’s title to be taken to the bibliographic information for the eBook.
- 4. To check out the book, select the link to the right of the words “Download Copy.” This link is located below the list of subjects and to the right of the words “Electronic Resource.”
- 5. Please note that the status of the eBook will list whether the title is checked in or not. This information is located toward the bottom of the page. Each copy of the eBook will have its own download link. In this example, copy 1 of Getaway Girlz is checked in and copy 2 is checked out. In order to check out copy 1, you will select the link to the right of “Download Copy 1.”
- 6. If you were not signed in before selecting the link to download your title search, you will be prompted to do so now with your library card number and pin.
- 7. Once you are signed in you should be given a message stating the checkout was successful. Select the “download” button to begin the download process.
- 8. You will be asked to select which app to open the eBook in. You can choose the default option listed on the right, or select the “Open in” button on the left to choose an app to open it in.
- 9. If you select the default option the app should open and load the title. If you select “Open in,” a list of available apps will be displayed. Select the one you prefer. In this example I chose the Overdrive Media Console app.
- 10. The app you selected will open and the title will download into it. Select the book jacket to open and read it.