Downloading eSelect Books to a Computer
A PDF document of these instructions with images is also available.
In order to read the eBooks in the eSelect collection on a PC or Mac, you will first need to download and install Adobe Digital Editions. You will also need an Adobe ID. To get more information on downloading Adobe Digital Editions and obtaining an Adobe ID, please see these instructions.
- 1. To begin, go to the HCPL homepage.
- 2. Select the search box in the upper left and type in a title. After you type in the title, hit the “enter” key.
- Alternately, you can select “catalog search” and then the tab for “HCPL eSelect eBooks” to view all titles in the eSelect collection.
- 3. Click on the book’s title to be taken to the bibliographic information for the eBook.
- 4. To check out the book, click on the link to the right of the words “Download Copy.” This link is located below the list of subjects and to the right of the words “Electronic Resource.”
- 5. Please note that the status of the eBook will list whether the title is checked in or not. This information is located toward the bottom of the page. Each copy of the eBook will have its own download link. In this example, copy 1 of Getaway Girlz is checked in and copy 2 is checked out. In order to check out copy 1, you will select the link to the right of “Download Copy 1.”
- 6. If you were not signed in before selecting the link to download your title search, you will be prompted to do so now with your library card number and pin.
- 7. Once you are signed in you should be given a message stating the checkout was successful. Select the “download” button to begin the download process.
- 8. If you get a message asking if you want to “Open” or “Save” the eBook, select “Open.”
- 9. The title should quickly download to your computer.
- 10. The title should now be open in Adobe Digital Editions and ready to read. If the title does not automatically open in Adobe Digital Editions, please see these instructions.