Downloading eSelect Books to a Nook
A PDF document of these instructions with images is also available.
For video instructions on searching and downloading to a computer, see the first video.
To read the eBooks in the HCPL eSelect collection on a Nook or Sony Reader, you will first need to download and install Adobe Digital Editions to a computer. You will also need an Adobe ID. For more information on downloading Adobe Digital Editions and obtaining an Adobe ID, please see these instructions.
- 1. To begin, go to the HCPL homepage.
- 2. Select the search box in the upper left and type in a title. After you type in the title, hit the “enter” key.
- Alternately, you can select “catalog search” and then the tab for “HCPL eSelect eBooks” to view all titles in the eSelect collection.
- 3. Click on the book’s title to be taken to the bibliographic information for the eBook.
- 4. To check out the book, click on the link to the right of the words “Download Copy .” This link is located below the list of subjects and to the right of the words “Electronic Resource.”
- 5. Please note that the status of the eBook will list whether the title is checked in or not. This information is located toward the bottom of the page. Each copy of the eBook will have its own download link. In this example, copy 1 of Getaway Girlz is checked in and copy 2 is checked out. In order to check out copy 1, you will select the link to the right of “Download Copy 1.”
- 6. If you were not signed in before selecting the link to download your title search, you will be prompted to do so now with your library card number and pin.
- 7. Once you are signed in you should be given a message stating the checkout was successful. Select the “download” button to begin the download process.
- 8. If you get a message asking if you want to “Open” or “Save” the eBook, select “Open.”
- 9. The title should quickly download to your computer.
- 10. The title should now be open in Adobe Digital Editions and ready to read. If the title does not automatically open in Adobe Digital Editions, please see these instructions.
- 11. In order to transfer the EPUB eBook to a Nook or Sony Reader, first select the “Library” button located in the upper left.
- 12. Your device should be listed in the left hand column just above the word “Bookshelves.”
- 13. Drag and drop the book jacket of the eBook to the word “Nook” on the left. When doing this a red circle by the mouse arrow should turn to a green plus sign. Please note that the book jacket to drag is the one in the main window on the right. It is not the smaller one located just above the “Nook” icon that says “last read.”
- 14. After you drag and drop the title to the Nook, a screen will briefly pop up to indicate the title is being copied to the device.
- 15. When the transfer is complete you can eject your nook from the computer and enjoy the eBook.