Escape the Heat at Your Local HCPL Branch
With temperatures often in the triple digits these days, we invite you to cool off at any of our branches. All branches have air conditioning and plenty of places to sit and relax. You might want to peruse our collection of books, DVDs, and audios, take a free computer class or bring your child to storytime. All branches offer a variety of programming this summer to expand your mind and help keep you cool.
County health officials offer these tips to keep cool:
- Stay indoors as much as possible. If you don't have air conditioning, stay in the coolest part of the house and use electric fans.
- Drink plenty of water regularly, even if you don't feel thirsty. Your body needs fluids to keep cool. Avoid beverages with caffeine and alcohol.
- Slow down. Avoid strenuous activity. If you work outside, do it during the coolest part of the day.
- Eat smaller meals, but eat more often.
- Wear loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing and a hat.
- Always use sunscreen. Sunburn makes the body's job of keeping cool more difficult.
- Although all are vulnerable to excessive heat, be sure to check on the elderly, children, and those who are ill as they are particularly at risk.
- Ensure that your pets are provided with shade and adequate water.
Library branches are spread throughout Harris County. The complete list, with operating hours, is available through the Locations tab.
For additional information on the heat emergency, see the Harris County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.