Every Day is Take Your Child to the Library Day
There are the big ones: your first kiss, your first car, your first paycheck; then there are the somewhat lesser firsts that somehow you remember just as well and almost as fondly. For a lot of Harris County Public Library’s customers, their first visit to a library is one of those. There’s something about a library that kids understand without much explaining. Children just naturally get the idea that books are made to be shared, and that life is full of possibilities, and that somehow those two notions are related.
We at Harris County Public Library think every day should be Take Your Child to the Library Day, but it’s alright with us if the folks up in Connecticut set aside, as they did, one day a year to remind everyone what a magical, life-enhancing place a library can be for a child, and that one of the best ways to give children a lifelong love of reading is for parents to read to them and to read for pleasure themselves, not to mention that a trip to the library is a no-cost, hassle-free chance for some quiet (or not so quiet) together-time.
Saturday, February 2 is the official Take Your Child to the Library Day and many HCPL branches will have special programs and displays to mark the occasion, but we also want to encourage you to take advantage of the many children’s programs, special events and services we off year around:
- HCPL Kid Website where you’ll find homework resources, access to the children’s catalog, links to kid-friendly websites and games.
- Children’s Blog with tons of great reading suggestions from our resident experts.
- Early Literacy Programs geared for your child’s specific needs from infants and babies to toddlers and pre-schoolers.
- Tumble Books: eBooks for kids downloadable anywhere you have an internet connection.
- Online Databases like World Book Encyclopedia, World Almanac Online and Searchasaurus for homework help.
- Fun. Simple as that. Fun crafts, stories, puppet shows, our annual Summer Reading Program and much more. See our Events Calendar to learn what's going on at a branch near you.