How can I receive library email notifications?
Receiving library email instead of postal mail
HCPL can send out notifications to your email when the items you have requested are ready for pick up or an item you have on loan is about due. There are two ways to add an email address to your account:
- Call or visit your local branch
- Add an email address through My Account
- Log in
- Click Profile
- Enter your email address and click update
Note: It takes a few days to take effect
Problems with library email notifications
If you suspect that you are not receiving email notices that you should be getting, please try the following:
- Check your email spam folder and/or junk mail folder in case your email client is miscoding library email as junk mail or spam. Library email notification messages are sent from the sender firstname.lastname@example.org.
Library overdue notifications have
From: Library Central Circulation
Subject: Your HCPL item will be due on DATE
The request hold notifications have
From: THE BRANCH NAME that holds your item
Subject: Harris County Public Library Email Notification
- Check your email settings, allowing emails coming from email@example.com.
- Check your Windows security levels, antivirus program and firewall settings, etc.
- If you still can’t receive the notification, contact your Internet and email service provider. The emails sent from the library might have been filtered out by your service provider as spam and have never made it to your mailbox. Find out what they can do for you. Let them know that anything from the hcpl.net domain is important email and is not spam.
- If everything you try fails, consider signing up for a web based email service such as Yahoo! mail, Hotmail, gMail, etc. and use it to receive the notification from the library. To change your library email preference setting, go to the library home page at http://www.hcpl.net , click on “My Account”, log on to your account, and click on “Profile.” Then simply replace your email address with your Hotmail (or whatever) email address.