Installing the Overdrive Media Console – Windows 8
A PDF document of these instructions with images is also available.
If you prefer the original desktop version of OverDrive Media Console (OMC), or you're trying to listen to WMA files or watch WMV movies, fear not. The desktop version of OMC can be installed on any Windows 8 machine with an x86 or x64 processor.
If you're not sure which version of Windows you're using (8 or RT), we've got an article that should help you out.
How to install desktop version of OMC for Windows
1. Switch to 'Desktop' mode. Tap or click the Desktop tile, or press Windows Key + D
2. Open your favorite web browser and navigate to the download page for OverDrive Media Console.
3. With the Windows option selected, click Download Now.
4. Run or Open the MSI file to start the setup wizard.
5. When the setup wizard opens, follow the prompts to install OverDrive Media Console.
Upgrade your security settings
Before you can listen to WMA files or watch WMVs, you'll need to upgrade your media player security settings. Don't worry, it's easy.
1. Right click on Internet Explorer, then click Run As Administrator. This step is important. If you don't run Internet Explorer as an administrator, this won't work.
2. Click Yes to continue.
3. Go to this address: http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp.
4. Click the Upgrade button and follow the prompts to finish.
That's all there is to it. The desktop version of OMC is now ready to go.
A few things to keep in mind
We have an app specifically designed for Windows 8 for reading EPUB eBooks and listening to MP3 audiobooks.
If you want to use both versions of OMC on the same computer, make sure you're opening titles with the appropriate version of the app. WMA and WMV titles need to be opened with the desktop version. MP3 and EPUB titles can be opened in OMC for Windows 8.