The Polar Express Adventure Continues
As a child, my grandfather always set up his vintage model train at Christmas. At that time, toy trains were often thought of as "toys for boys," but luckily my grandfather did not buy into that nonsense. He knew, that in my eyes, his single Lionel "toy" train was truly a thing of beauty, and I looked forward to seeing it every year. I know that there are a lot of people, young and old alike, who still enjoy trains. That is why, I am incredibly excited to tell you about the extraordinary model train display at our library. During the month of December, children and adults, will have a rare opportunity to view this amazing 12' x 6' model train display.
Trust me, you do not want to miss this! The Polar Express train travels in and around the whimsical Department 56 Snow Village, and it includes four train sets which populate this vintage village. Collectors and hobbyist may be interested in knowing that there are two "O" gauge and two "S" gauge model trains. All of the items were manufactured in Germany and belong to Mr. and Mrs. Mehan. Please be aware that the trains cannot run continuously; click here for the train schedule.
Click here to see a sneak peek video of the train display.
When you visit the library, please ask about all of the other activities and programs we have. For example, this month, children can expand their experience through an I Spy game and/or a Polar Express pajama party. If your child is not yet registered for the the PJ. party I would suggest that you do so ASAP.; for space is limited. If you find that the program is full there is a waiting list. - See additional details below.
Polar Express I Spy
During the month of December, children will have an opportunity to earn a train die cut, and one prize from the treasure box. Readers and non-reader alike are encouraged to participate.
- 1. Come to the Information Desk at the library and request for a game board. This game can be completed individually, as a family, or as a group activity.
- 2. After you have completed the game board, each child will be invited to put their name on a special die cut which will be placed on our bulletin board for everyone to see.
- 3. Then, they may choose a single prize from our treasure chest. This activity will be available during business hours *, and children may play it as often as they wish. However, prizes are limited to one per child, and will be presented at the time of their first completion.
- 4. Don't expect to find this program at any other location for this interactive game is currently an Atascocita Branch Library exclusive!
- 5. The Polar Express theme will be available from December 1st through the 31st. We will have a new I Spy theme in January 2014.
The Polar Express Pajama Party
If you want to attend the Polar Express PJ Party, you need to register ASAP, because there are just a few slots left. This program is for children between the ages of 3 Years and 11 Years old.
* Business Hours
The Atascocita Branch Library, is open six days per week, Monday through Saturday.
- Mon 11-8
- Tue 1-9
- Wed 10-6
- Thu 10-8
- Fri 1-6
- Sat 10-5
- Sun CLOSED
If you have not had the pleasure of visiting the library we would love to meet you. Not sure how to get here? No problem, below are directions to our branch.
Atascocita Library is located near the intersection of Pinehurst Trail Dr. and FM 1960. From Highway 59N take the FM 1960 exit. Turn right on FM 1960. Go six miles east to Pinehurst Trails Drive. Turn left onto Pinehurst Trails Drive. The library is on the right. (Key Map #337V)