Summer Reading Program Ends Soon
I can’t believe it, but the Summer Reading Club will be ending in less than one week! The 2009 Children's Summer Reading Program is designed for kids between the ages of 0 – 12 years old. Anytime a child reads a book, or is read to it counts towards their reading goals.
You can register and log information online at http://www.hcpl.net/kidsite/summerreader.htm or visit any Harris County Public Library, and the staff will be happy to assist you.
- To qualify children must have completed 10 books, 500 pages or 500 minutes. It’s understandable if you don’t remember the title of every book you read this summer. I certainly don’t. However, if you know the number of books, pages or minutes we can log that information for you.
- I know that a lot of families listened to audio books during their summer road trip. Guess what, these items can be counted towards your reading goals.
- Also, don't forget all the books you read during storytime, at bedtime or in school.
- Children who qualify will earn a certificate signed by our Governor, Rick Perry. While supplies last, they will also recieve a free book of their choice for their personal collection.
- Saturday, August 8th is the last day of the program.
This week, we have two final programs that I am sure you will want to attend.
MAGIC SHOW: Tuesday, August 4th @ 3:00 pm. Abracadabra, it's Magic! Steve Burton's magic program includes lots of audience participation along with live animals, comedy, music and special treats for all his helpers. Children must be able to sit through the program without an adult. Tickets are free and will be provided a half hour before the program. Space is limited.
PETTING ZOO: Wednesday, August 5th @ 3:00 pm. Everyone is sure to have fun during our End of Summer party. Marsha's Petting Zoo will be there with lots of furry friends. There will also be face painting for the kids. This is a great opportunity to enjoy the day, and turn in your reading logs. Don't forget your cameras!
This summer, Ms Susan and I have enjoyed the time spent with friends new and old. We hope that you've had as much fun as we have. Please come see us during the school year. Stop by anytime just to say hi, pick out a new book, or to see what fun and exciting programs we have planned for future months!
Petting zoo photograph provided by the Spring Branch Memorial Branch Library, HCPL