Titles Do Not Automatically Open Into Adobe Digital Editions – Windows 7
A PDF document of these instructions with images is also available.
If you download an eBook title to your computer from the HCPL Digital Media Catalog and either Adobe Digital Editions does not open automatically when downloading an eBook, or a different program other than the Adobe Digital Editions attempts to open it, please follow the instructions below.
1. Verify that you have Adobe Digital Editions installed. You may need to look in your programs folder. You may also have the Adobe Digital Editions icon on your desktop. The icon is grey with a maroon image of an open book. Older versions of Adobe Digital Editions had a brown background with a white image of an open book.
2. If it is installed, continue to step 3. If it is not installed, please download the software here: http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions.html
3. Select the Windows icon in the bottom left.
4. Click on "Default Programs" from the pop up menu.
5. Select "Associate a file type or protocol with a program."
6. There are three columns in this window. It shows the "Name" of the extension, the "Description" of the extension, and the "Current Default" program the extension is set to.
7. Scroll down to the 'ACSM' file type under the "Name" column.
8. Make sure that the 'ACSM' extension is set to open with Adobe Digital Editions (listed under the "Current Default" heading). If it is not, click once on the word “ACSM" to highlight the line in blue. If it is currently set to Adobe Digital Editions, select “close” as your extension is properly set. Please contact support for further assistance.
9. If it is not set to Adobe Digital Editions, click on the "Change Program" button.
10. If Adobe Digital Editions is showing in the ”Recommended” or “Other Programs,” select it here. If it is not listed, select "browse" to find more programs.
11. In the browse window that opens, scroll through the list to see if a folder for "Adobe" or "Adobe Digital Editions" is listed. If it is, open it and select the “Digital Editions” program. If it is not, continue to step 12. 12. On the left hand column of the “browse” screen under the heading "Computer," select "OS:(C)."
13. In the browse window that opens, scroll through the list to see if a folder for "Adobe" or "Adobe Digital Editions" is listed. If it is, open it and select the “Digital Editions” program. If it is not.
14. Search in here for the "Adobe" folder and double click it.
15. Open the folder called “Adobe Digital Editions.”
16. In the next window, select “Digital Editions.”
17. Close all open windows and attempt to download the title again. If asked to “Open” or “Save” the file after attempting to download it, select “Open.”