Villainous Villains: The TV Edition
A few weeks ago, I wrote about my love for movie villains. Today’s post focuses on some of my very favorite bad guys – TV villains. One of the reasons why I adore TV villains is that exposure over a long period of time tends to allow for more multi-dimensional characters. Instead of one two-hour movie, the villain is often a constant throughout most or all of a television series (e.g., Red John on The Mentalist). The hero and the villain both evolve (and, sometimes, devolve) until, by the end of the series, each have changed because of their interactions. This longer time frame allows for an in-depth progression that simply isn’t possibly in a movie.
Even when the villain is present for a single season (e.g., the Ice Truck Killer, who only appears in season one of Dexter) or, in some instances, only a few episodes (e.g., Foyet, who is in four episodes of Criminal Minds), their impact on the hero continues.
The following is a list of some of my favorite TV villains. It is, by no means, a complete list, or even a list of the best TV villains. Did your favorite villain make the list?
Kimberly’s TV Villain Picks:
- Sark on Alias
- Dr. Gaius Baltar on Battlestar Galactica
- The Mayor on Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Foyet on Criminal Minds
- The Ice Truck Killer on Dexter
- The Master, the Daleks, the Cybermen, and the Weeping Angels on Doctor Who
- Sylar on Heroes
- Tritter on House M.D.
- Ben Linus on Lost
- Red John on The Mentalist
- T-Bag on Prison Break
- Professor Moriarty on Sherlock
- Lex Luthor on Smallville
- Todd the Wraith on Stargate: Atlantis
- Azazel on Supernatural
- Russell Edgington on True Blood
- Wilhelmina Slater on Ugly Betty