Volunteer @ Your Library
In April, President Obama signed the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act which, for the first time, officially recognizes today, September 11, as a National Day of Service and Remembrance. One of the best ways to honor this day is to volunteer at your local library. Want to know how?
- It's a great way to give back to your community and library.
- It fulfills the community service requirements for National Honor Society, Scouts, etc.
- It looks impressive on college applications.
- It's fun!
What do volunteers do?
- Prepare children's craft kits
- Shelf read
- Clean baby toys after storytime
- Help with programs
- Shelve materials
- Work on special projects
How do I sign up? Fill out an application and just call or drop by your local library today!
In addition to volunteering, some branches even have special advisory groups that concentrate on teen programs and services. The group names vary with each branch but ask your librarian if they have a teen advisory board.