Water Cooler Comedy
Today is Monday. Monday isn’t really my most favorite day of the week (I’m pretty partial to Thursdays and Saturdays) but as I was getting ready for work this morning, I was thinking about all the office comedies I have seen over the years. What do you talk about around your water cooler?
- The Office – Both the original on BBC with Ricky Gervais (man, I love that guy!) and the American edition with Steve Carrell!
- 30 Rock – So there probably aren’t many of us who work on a television show or alongside folks like Tracy Morgan or Tina Fey, but this show definitely packs some humorous office drama.
- Office Space – I don’t know about you, but I’ve had some fantasies about destroying some dysfunctional office equipment in my time. This Mike Judge movie was filmed right here in Texas!
- NewsRadio – I’ve loved David Foley ever since I first watched the Kids in the Hall on Comedy Central; with an all-star cast, this office comedy about an AM radio station borders on the absurd!
- Mary Tyler Moore – Probably one of my favorite office comedies! Particularly good for a Monday: Mary can “take a nothing day and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile.”
- Murphy Brown – As an anchor on a top news show “FYI,” Murphy Brown asks the difficult questions and has no qualms pushing people around a bit. Pop quiz trivia – how many different personal secretaries did Murphy have over the years?
- Designing Women – Nobody can top the Sugarbakers! This comedy features four women running an interior design firm in Atlanta.