Help - Overdrive Media Console - Computer
In order to listen to the eAudio books, first you will need to download the Overdrive Media Console, which can be downloaded from here:
On this page, click “download” now.
If a message pops up asking you if you want to open the file or save, click on "Open".
After the program downloads, click “run” if the option is asked.
After the program installs, there should be an icon on your desktop that looks like a green triangle with four white bubbles around it. This is the desktop shortcut for the Overdrive Media Console. If it is not there, click on "start" and find the program in the programs folder to open it.
After the Overdrive Media Console program opens, locate the button called "Tools" at the top of the program window.
In the drop down menu, select "Windows Media Player Security Upgrade". A window will pop up saying that you need to upgrade security settings for Windows Media Player. Click "Ok" to continue with the upgrade.
After the upgrade installs, Windows Media Player may open. If it does, you can close it.
When finished, attempt to download a title if you have one already checkout.
You can access our digital catalog from here:
If you click on "My Digital Account", you will have access to all your checked out titles and hold titles (it may ask you to login with your library card first).
Clicking on "My eBookshelf" will bring up the titles you have checked out. Clicking on "Holds" lists the titles you have on hold.
If you have a title checked out, it should list that title in your "eBookshelf" with a grey button that says "Download" next to it.
The way it should work is that, when you click download, it may ask you if you want to create a folder for the title. Click “yes” to continue.
Another window will open that lists a number of parts. These parts would represent a CD if it was a physical audiobook. Example: If it has 5 parts, it would have 5 CD's. Download all the parts to listen to the entire title.
Once you have selected all the parts to download that you want, the Overdrive Media Console will open and the title will start to download.
On the bottom right of the Overdrive Media Console window, a green or blue bar will show the progress of the download. Each part will download separately.
To play a title, simply double-click on the title in the Overdrive Media Console window and it should start to play.
A PDF document of these instructions with images is also available.
If you prefer the original desktop version of OverDrive Media Console (OMC), or you're trying to listen to WMA files or watch WMV movies, fear not. The desktop version of OMC can be installed on any Windows 8 machine with an x86 or x64 processor.
If you're not sure which version of Windows you're using (8 or RT), we've got an article that should help you out.
How to install desktop version of OMC for Windows
1. Switch to 'Desktop' mode. Tap or click the Desktop tile, or press Windows Key + D
2. Open your favorite web browser and navigate to the download page for OverDrive Media Console.
3. With the Windows option selected, click Download Now.
4. Run or Open the MSI file to start the setup wizard.
5. When the setup wizard opens, follow the prompts to install OverDrive Media Console.
Upgrade your security settings
Before you can listen to WMA files or watch WMVs, you'll need to upgrade your media player security settings. Don't worry, it's easy.
1. Right click on Internet Explorer, then click Run As Administrator. This step is important. If you don't run Internet Explorer as an administrator, this won't work.
2. Click Yes to continue.
3. Go to this address: http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp.
4. Click the Upgrade button and follow the prompts to finish.
That's all there is to it. The desktop version of OMC is now ready to go.
A few things to keep in mind
We have an app specifically designed for Windows 8 for reading EPUB eBooks and listening to MP3 audiobooks.
If you want to use both versions of OMC on the same computer, make sure you're opening titles with the appropriate version of the app. WMA and WMV titles need to be opened with the desktop version. MP3 and EPUB titles can be opened in OMC for Windows 8.
If you get an error while attempting to upgrade the security component for the Overdrive Media Console, please go to the following URL in Internet Explorer Only:
Please note that you will need Active X controls activated to use this page. If the “upgrade” button is grayed out, please look at the top of the window to see if a pop-up was blocked asking you to run the Active X controls.
If there is no pop-up or yellow message bar at the top of the screen and the button is still grayed out, please follow the following steps.
- Close all open programs.
- Open the 'Control Panel'.
- Open 'Folder Options' and select the 'View' tab.
- Select 'Show hidden files and folders'.
- Uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files'.
- In the warning message you receive, click 'Yes'.
- Click 'OK'.
- Close the Control Panel.
- Open “My Computer”
- Double Click on the “C” drive.
- Double click on the “Documents and Settings” folder.
- Double Click “All Users".
- Right-click the DRM folder and click “Rename”.
- Type DRM.old.
- Close all open Windows.
Open Internet Explorer Go back to the following website (using Internet Explorer only) to see if the button is now activated.
- If you can click on “Upgrade”, please do so now.
After the upgrade process is complete, please attempt to download an eAudio title from our digital catalog homepage at:
A PDF document of these instructions with images is also available.
If you download an eAudio title from the HCPL Digital Media Catalog and either the Overdrive Media Console does not open automatically when downloading an eAudio, or a different program other than the Overdrive Media Console attempts to open it, please follow the below instructions.
1. Verify that you have the Overdrive Media Console installed. You may need to look in your programs folder. You may also have the Overdrive icon on your desktop. The icon is blue with a white “O” in the bottom right corner.
2. If it is installed, continue to step 3. If it is not installed, please download the software here.
3. Select the Windows icon in the bottom left.
4. Click on "Default Programs" from the pop up menu.
5. Select "Associate a file type or protocol with a program."
6. There are three columns in this window. It shows the "Name" of the extension, the "description" of the extension, and the "Current Default" program the extension is set to.
7. Scroll down to the 'ODM' file type under the "Name" column.
8. Make sure that the 'ODM' extension is set to open with OverDrive Media Console (listed under the "Current Default" heading.) . If it is not, click once on the word “ODM'' to highlight the line in blue. If it is currently set to OverDrive Media Console, select “close” as your extension is properly set. Please contact support here for further assistance.
9. If it is not set to OverDrive Media Console, click on the "Change Program" button.
10. If OverDrive is showing in the ”Recommended” or “Other Programs,” select it here. If it is not listed, select "browse" to find more programs.
11. In the browse window that opens, scroll through the list to see if a folder for "OverDrive" or "OverDrive Media Console" is listed. If it is, open it and select the “OverDrive” program. If it is not, continue to step 10.
12. On the left hand column of the “browse” screen under the heading "Computer," select "OS:(C)."
13. In the browse window that opens, scroll through the list to see if a folder for "OverDrive" or "OverDrive Media Console" is listed. If it is, open it and select the “OverDrive” program. If it is not there, open a folder called "Programs (X86)."
14. Search in here for the "OverDrive Media Console" folder and double click it.
15. In the next window, select “MediaConsole.”
16. Close all open windows and attempt to download the title again. If asked to “Open” or “save” the file after attempting to download it, select “Open.”
Titles in our digital catalog can only be downloaded three times. If you were able to download some, but not all, of the parts to your title and are receiving this error, please attempt to download the remaining parts through the Overdrive Media Console itself.
- 1) Open the Overdrive Media Console.
- 2) Select the title you need to finish downloading by left clicking on it one time.
- 3) Click the download button located towards the top of the Overdrive Media Player.
- 4) Select the parts that still need to be downloaded and attempt to download them.
If you were not able to get any parts downloaded into the Overdrive Media Console, or if you still experience the error, please fill out the support form so that we can assist you further.