We are halfway through tax season and April 18th will be here before you know it. If you have yet to file your taxes, AARP is at the library and ready to help individuals with simple tax returns. Assistance is on a first come first serve basis, so get here early to secure your spot. AARP Tax Aide will be provided on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10:00am-2:00pm and Saturdays from 11:00am-3:00pm until April 17.
Please bring these items with you:
1. Valid identification with current address for yourself & your dependents
2. Social security cards for yourself and your dependents
3. Your wage, salary and income statements (W2 and/or 1099)
4. Last year's income tax return statement
5. If you are a homeowner, the amount of property tax paid in 2016
6. If you bought a new vehicle (or anything of high value, i.e., a ring, a boat, etc.) in 2016, the amount of sales tax you paid or the value of the item
7. Documentation for deductible expenses (mortgage interest, real estate taxes paid, medical expenses, charitable contributions, mileage for volunteer work)
8. Documentation for items that qualify for tax credit (child care, post-secondary education, home purchase contract & closing statement for homes purchased in the past year)
For more information, call the library at 832-559-4200.