When you read a really good book, you just naturally want to tell people about it. So you do—on the bus, at lunch, maybe even on Facebook. But, in the end, how many people have you reached? 100? 500? What if you could double or triple that number? What if you could go viral and win a prize too? Harris County Public Library can’t guarantee you’ll be the next Keyboard Cat or Annoying Orange, but you never know…
If you enter the Story Tubes 2012 Contest , you get a chance to tell a whole lot of people about your favorite book and star in your own video too! You can make your video by yourself or with a group of friends. You don’t even need a video camera, editing software or a computer to enter. HCPL branches have the equipment; just ask a librarian at your local branch for assistance. By entering the contest, you will be helping us encourage other people like yourself to read and to get creative with technology.
There will be prizes awarded to the winners of online voting, as well as special Judges’ Choice Awards in each of four age categories. If you’re thinking there is no way you can win because Story Tubes is a nationwide contest, think again. Texas has had several winners in the past. In fact, one of last year’s winners came from HCPL’s La Porte Community Library.
To enter, all you have to do is fill out an entry form  on the Story Tubes website, then upload your video to Youtube  or TeacherTube . The staff at your local Harris County Public Library can help with this if you need it.
Contest rules at a glance.
• Entry forms and videos must be submitted between 9:00 A.M. January 20, 2012 and 11:00 P.M. February 20, 2012.
• Videos may be up to two minutes long
• You may make the video by yourself or with a group (the group limit per video is five people)
• Registration is free and English-speaking kids and young adults in grades K – 12 are eligible to enter.
• Prizes are awarded in five age groups: Ages 5-7, Ages 11-13, Ages 8-10, Ages 14-18, Just for Fun - All Ages
• For complete rules , guidelines, and to view past entries visit www.storytubes.info/drupal/  . See also, Story Tube FAQs