| Books |
Find It! Genealogy |
Local History| Museums
| Native Americans |
Performing Arts |
History - Local
Arts Council for Houston/Harris County
- Assists the area art community.
- Information, including pictures, about local architecture.
- Directory of local entertainers.
Institute for Culture
- Promotes cultural arts and activities, as well as cultural awareness
and education in Houston and the Southeast Texas region.
- Offers a number of photographs of sites throughout Texas including
the Houston skyline.
- Civil War reenactment group based in the Houston area includes historic
and current information.
1900 Storm: Galveston Texas
- Articles, statistics, and photographs of the hurricane in 1900.
- Administered by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, the battleship
participated in World Wars I and II.
168 Years of History
- A decade by decade account of Houston’s history.
Civil War Roundtable
- Program and group information with civil war links.
Jacinto Monument and Museum
- Monument marking the battlefield where Texans won independence from
History - Texas
- Sank during an attack on the Japanese during World War II.
- The Alamo
- The official site with visitor information and history.
Civil War Texas Map of Battles
- Map of Civil War battles that took place in Texas with links to articles
on each battle.
of the Alamo
- American frontiersmen -- including some of their most colorful leaders
-- gather to support a revolution against a foreign despot, and hold
out against massive odds. Until the climatic moment when they're annihilated,
taking large numbers of the enemy with them. Their sacrifice changes
- Promotes Texas Independence Day and the history of Texas.
Republic to State
- "Debates and documents relating to the annexation of Texas,
of Texas Online
- Encyclopedia containing over 23,000 articles on Texas history, geography,
of Texan Cultures
- Dedicated to enhancing and understanding the history and diverse cultures
- A searchable database of the General Land Office's land grant collection.
The Land Grants of Texas tell the story of the settlement and early
history of Texas.
- A history resource focused on Texas and its early history. The site
also includes Texas trivia.
of Texas Governors
- Portraits and biographical sketches of Texas Governors.
Houston Memorial Museum
- Timeline of Sam Houston's life, an interactive tour of the museum,
recipes and photographs.
- San Antonio
- National Park visitor information and history.
Day by Day
- New stories each day reflecting an event in Texas history for that
- Texas Digital Sanborn Maps
- Detailed property and land-use records that depicts the architecture
of more than 12,000 US towns and cities throughout the past 100 years.
The maps enable researchers to trace the architectural history of individual
buildings or entire communities. Factories are often depicted with the
owner's name and products manufactured there. Also depicts pipelines,
railroads, wells, water mains, and dumps.
Historic Sites Atlas
- Includes more than 200,000 records for historic sites.
- State agency for historic preservation.
- Links to a sources and locations of Texas history.
- Timeline of events from early history through statehood.
in the Civil War
- Index to information on the internet regarding Texas in the Civil
- History of the Texas navy.
Rangers Hall of Fame and Museum
- Museum information, history, and a section for students.
State Historical Association & the Center for Studies in Texas History
- Association information and Texas history links.
- Online exhibit of historical artifacts and documents from the State
Library and Archives.
- Living history organization dedicated to pre-1840 Texas history.
- Consortium of web sites dedicated to material concerning pre-Civil
War Texas History on the internet.
Museum of Houston
- Located in the museum district; serving the children of the greater
- Ongoing exhibitions of contemporary art.
- Non-profit art center dedicated to presenting new visual, performing,
and literary art.
- Exhibitions and education relating to the Jewish Holocaust during
World War II.
- Information on institutions in the district including a map and calendar
Museum of Natural Science
- Ongoing exhibits and mainstays such as the butterfly center and planetarium.
- Collections include Byzantine art, tribal art, 20th Century art, and
of Fine Arts, Houston
- Offers art of world cultures from antiquity to the present.
of Health and Medical Science
- Sponsored by the Texas Medical Center, offers visitors an interactive
University Art Gallery
- Offers rotating exhibitions and several virtual exhibitions.
- Brief overview of the tribes with a map.
of the Disappearing Indians of Texas
- Exploration of why there are few Native Americans in Texas today.
- Geared towards children doing reports. Offers articles on the various
Native American tribes.
- OVerview of the groups in Texas with activities.
For more arts, crafts & humanities sites check out
- Offers a continuing series of plays.
Woods Mitchell Pavilion
- Performing arts center in the Woodlands.
Camera of Houston
- Offers performances of classical music.
Center for the Performing Arts
- A cultural and arts pavilion offering theatrical and cultural productions.
- Performs an extensive repertoire of works, ranging from the great
nineteenth century classics to cutting edge pieces.
- Links to choral groups throughout Houston.
- Professional civic chorus dedicated to performing choral music.
- Community orchestra performs classical music.
- Offers a continuing series of operas.
- Training and performing for local dancers.
- Offers a continuing series of concerts.
- Information on groups, events and parking.
- Nonprofit community based theater.
for the Performing Arts - Houston
- Sponsors theater, music, and dance performances in Jones Hall.
Under the Stars
- Offers a series of musicals.
Woodlands Concert Band
- An amateur concert band. Includes performance dates, and contact
and audition information.