When it comes to doing our taxes, most of us manage to put on a brave face, but when we find ourselves staring at a blank tax form with the deadline looming, even the most unflappable among us tend to get...well... flapped.
This year, avoid the stress and let AARP Tax Aides help prepare your tax return. AARP's friendly, trained volunteers have been helping folks with their taxes for over 50 years and they will be happy to do the same for you (and in case you are wondering, no, you don't have to be an AARP member, or even be eligible to be a member. Everyone is welcome).
The AARP Tax Aide service is offered on designated days from February 1 to the IRS tax deadline on April 15 at several Harris County Public Libraries. Visit our program calendar for times and locations: AARP Tax Aide Schedule at HCPL
Below is a checklist of documents you should bring with you.
What to bring:
- A copy of last year's income tax return(s)
- Social Security numbers for all adults and dependents
- W-2 forms from each employer
- Unemployment compensation statements on 1099-G
- SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits
- All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B) showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing original purchase price and purchase date of sold assets
- 1099-misc showing any miscellaneous income
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity
- All forms indicating federal income tax paid
- All receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions